It’s been two weeks since I’ve seen my P. I miss my P. I was so happy to have gotten to see her before she and family packed up and headed down South to Florida. The following is a “summary” of my two days of good bye…
K and I packed up into the car on Thursday morning about 8 am or close enough to it. We didn’t hit too much traffic on the way down at all. There was one section of 65-S that was pretty congested for a long while but that was really all we encountered.
I found out from D that the movers were scheduled to get there between 2 and 4 pm. They called D about 3 to let him know it was going to be closer to 4 before they’d get there. 4 pm rolls around. 5 pm rolls around. 6 pm rolls around. They didn’t show up until nearly 8 pm and they never returned any phone calls that D or P made to either the dispatcher or the drivers themselves. They weren’t done loading the truck until nearly 3 am.
In addition to them being 4-hours late, the lady who did the estimate didn’t send a big enough truck. P and D ended up with about 10 items of furniture that they were unable to take with them to Florida. P was so PISSED. I can’t blame her either. Luckily her sister’s neighborhood was having a huge community garage sale and all the items were able to be put out for sale. I think they all sold so at least they got some cash, but to have to pick and choose what furniture to take with you? That’s horrible. Because they didn’t send the right truck they didn’t quote her for the correct weight either. P ended up having to call the company at about 10 pm to come to a “binding agreement” to avoid major over-charges from the weight difference of the quote to the actual weight of the items.
Friday P called the moving company (MASTER MOVERS in Indianapolis in case anyone is actually reading this and is thinking about using them. Save yourself the hassle and DON’T use them) to try to get some sort of compensation for the headache of the previous evening (there was a lot of shit that wasn’t conveyed to P before she agreed to this company; which had it been she never would have agreed to them. Not to mention the fact that they were so late in starting the move that her son couldn’t attend school the next day because he didn’t get to bed until nearly 3 am) and this Brenda lady wouldn’t call her back. P was calling every hour, then every half hour, and it was around 2 pm before someone even answered the phone.
Other than the hassle with the movers, I was very VERY glad that I got a chance to see P and D and their three kids before they moved. It was hard enough to get to Indy to see them for a weekend. It’s going to be even harder to get to Florida.
I found out from P the other day that the movers were supposed to deliver their belongings by Tuesday, May 25th. As a matter of fact, P was PROMISED this repeatedly whenever she did speak with someone at MASTER MOVERS, aka The Shittiest Movers EVER. But their things didn’t get delivered until Saturday, May 29th. And on top of the horrible customer service – the movers lost the dining room table. When I was with them those days D was telling me all about how this piece of furniture is their most important, it’s the nicest piece they own outright, and he was hoping that they’d take care of it so it didn’t get damaged. P, D and I watched the movers wrap it with 50 blankets and 1,000 rolls of tape, and take it to the truck. When it showed up missing D apparently hit the roof. The delivery driver marked on the receipt that the table was missing, P has the papers of all the items they packed onto the truck which lists the table, but the company insists that they never took possession of the table. And of course – they weren’t returning any of P’s calls.
I told her to call the BBB on this company, and threaten them with legal action. Not that I’m so sue hungry that I think anyone who doesn’t deliver as promised needs to be sued, but sometimes I think with companies this shady that’s the term that gets their attention. They hope you will get tired of chasing them and give up. When you don’t give up and you say, “Call me back within 24 hours or I’ll seek legal advice” that usually gets a response.
It did. They called D finally. I think P scares them. All they said though was that D and P need to file a claim. The problem with that is how P’s going to know that they’re going to do anything with the claim. I have a feeling that this will not be a situation that will be cleared up anytime soon. I think this is going to be a battle for a while.
I think I’m going to go search rental cars now. I want to see if I can make a family trip to Florida the week before school starts in August to visit them again. I have a feeling M will come with this time, too!
No comments:
Post a Comment