Lianna & Kiley

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

All About Me

** I DON'T KNOW WHY THIS POSTED HERE!  I THOUGHT I COULD EDIT IT AND IT WOULD STAY IN THE SAME PLACE!!!  ANYONE KNOW HOW TO FIX THIS? **


Hello, whoever you are! My name is Erin and I'm a 30-something year old mother to two teenage girls. I'm ready to sell them on eBay or duct tape them to the floor - whichever comes first. This is my attempt at online blogging. I read so many blogs, and am fascinated by them all. The fact that people are so willing to open themselves up to complete strangers, and discuss children, jobs, family, hobbies... All the random things people blog about. I love it. I used to fancy myself as a writer when I was in grade school. I remember writing a story about a boy and girl going up a long hill. And they continued to go up the long hill. And three pages later they were still going up the long hill. My mother told me what a good story it was and I remember being so dang proud of it. Obviously, I realized eventually she just told me that to avoid hurting my feelings - but I digress...



My children are L who is a 15 year old freshman, and K who is a 13 year old 7th Grader. We also have two dogs - Tyson and Walker. Tyson is 6 and is becoming a grumpy old man, and Walker is 2 1/2 and is completely nuts. My girls, dogs and I live with my fiance, M. For the moment I'm choosing to keep their identities private. I haven't decided yet if I'll divulge entire names in the future or not. I don't care if anyone knows my name. I figure I started the blog I should at least let you know what my name is!! And I'm sure the dogs don't care if anyone knows their names either!


The biggest issues I have with L is that she wants to be such an adult. How can a kid who can't remember to brush her teeth every morning be an adult?! Seriously. I had to threaten her with publicly embarrassing her in school in order for her to remember to brush her teeth. So far two days and I haven't had to go through with my threat. I hope she continues to brush her teeth every morning because I really don't feel like going to the school with her toothbrush and toothpaste to pull her out of class in front of her classmates to brush her teeth. Don't get me wrong - I'll do it. I'm just saying I don't want to. She also thinks that she can wear whatever the heck she wants. She needs to think again. I don't care if B is allowed to wear the skirt that barely covers her bottom and has holes all over it. My child is NOT wearing that skirt. I don't care if D is allowed to wear belly-barring t-shirts. My child is NOT wearing that shirt in public. Maybe I'm *GASP* getting old, but there are certain things that I'm very against, and belly shirts and short hoochie skirts are two of them. However, I do allow L to wear a bikini in the summer. Go figure.


K is more of a complex child. She has a lot of... for lack of a better word I'll say issues. K is very stubborn. She knows what she wants, but the problem is she doesn't care who she hurts or what she does to get what she wants. She's had a rough time. The girls’ father and I divorced when they were very little - 4 and 2 years old - and their father is only now starting to be in their lives in a somewhat consistent manner. And he always has favored L over K. I attribute it to the fact that K was so young when we separated. K has issues at school as well. Due to her insistence that everything be her way she doesn't have a lot of friends, and while it breaks my heart as her mother, I can see why. I wouldn't have wanted to be friends with someone who always has to be right and has a very "If I can't win then I'm taking my ball and going home" attitude. She is also borderline dyslexic. I don't think I spelled that right. She's always had a hard time in school due to this and finally for the last two school years we've had her on an IEP (Individualized Education Plan) in which she has made Honor Roll three times. WOO HOO! That's huge for her. However, she doesn't like having an IEP because it's classified as "special education" which she attributes to "retarded". While we've tried to point out to her the differences between her reading difficulties and retardation - her stubbornness shows in the fact that she won't even let you finish a sentence before yelling "I'm RETARDED! That's why I'm in the SPECIAL EDUCATION CLASSES!" She's a work in progress.


I suppose that's enough for the moment, right? Thanks for reading and come back again!

No comments: