Lianna & Kiley

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The Suck Hole of Hell I Call Work

Holy hell do I need a new job.  This place is sucking the life right out of me.  I've already pointed out in numerous posts that I do pretty much not a damn thing all day except fuck around on the computer.  On one hand, where else would I get that kind of freedom?  On the other hand, I can do that at home in the comfort of my PJ's after work so it's not really a "treat", and I feel like my brain is going to atrophy from lack of intellectual use.  
On a weekly basis this is what I can count on doing:
Make coffee every day
Answer phones every day (I can probably count on both hands how many times they ring a day)
Print faxes every day
Check email every day
Bill a job (if I'm lucky I'll do this once a week)
Once a month I'll create a waiver and pick up a check
Open the mail  Never mind... I no longer do this


Yesterday I opened the mail, like I do EVERY day and have EVERY day for the last 4 years!  There was one regular sized white envelope with a company logo for the return address and I noticed that the company logo was for an accounting firm, a CPA to be exact.  Since my company already has an accounting firm and a CPA who was definitely NOT this company I figured it was junk mail - A company trying to get our business.  So I opened it.  It was nothing but a yellow piece of legal paper wrapped around a personal check.  Whatever.  I did what I do with every other check that comes into this office without a tear-off stub - I made a copy of the check, date stamped the copy, paper clipped the check to the copy and put it in Virginia's desk since she handles all checks.


I then came across a small manilla envelope with the same company logo on it and this time addressed specifically to my boss.  After opening the envelope I realized that this "accounting firm" was where someone who knows my boss from their church works.  This gentleman was mailing my boss a book (and the check from the previous envelope) and included a typed letter.  I date stamped the letter, shoved both the book and the letter back into the envelope and gave it to my boss.


Today when my boss came in he stopped by my desk to tell me that under no circumstances am I to open mail that has his name on it.  Even if it's addressed to our company, if it has his name on it I don't open it.  What's bothering me is that I could tell he wanted to yell this at me but was keeping his cool, and I don't know why.  I didn't go to his house and pull personal mail out of his mailbox to open it.  I didn't open something that said "Confidential", or a bank statement, or something else that I know not to open.


My boss is going to be less than fucking pissed in about a week or two.  He has absolutely no idea how much junk mail I sift through on a daily basis before legitimate mail makes it's way to his desk.  A lot of junk mail has his name on it (credit card apps, companies trying to get him to open a line of credit, trying to get him to finance equipment, or try their product) and from this point forward, per his direction, I'm not opening anything with his name on it.  I thought I was making an executive decision on opening what I thought was junk mail in an attempt to keep him from having to open it.  At least I opened it before putting it into the "to shred" pile.


I'm pissed that yet another "job" has been taken away from me.  I need to get out of this place.  I need to go somewhere where I can actually work and not be made to feel like a complete toolbag for doing what little jobs I do have.  

1 comment:

Ms. Ro Chelle said...

Oh man can I feel your pain on this. The job I had before doing the stay at home mom thing was a brain atrophying job with zero responsibility and whenever I did get a "project" they acted like they were doing me a freaking favor and then practically drew me pictures to help me understand what they needed me to do. I hated that they hired me under the pretense that I would be busy and even need the ability to "multitask" and then I ended up doing diddly squat. It was stupid and I hated it. When I go back to work I will be interviewing them to make sure I'm not in that situation again. It was miserable.