I know I've posted my views on religion before and while I'm not trying to repost what I've already mentioned I have to get this off my chest. Before I begin, let me say that I realize the religious views I'm speaking of are not those of a large group of people. There are a very select group of people who subscribe to this religion and/or beliefs. Don't be offended, these are my thoughts...
L had to choose a book to read over the summer from a list of books. She had to have read this book before school started as they would be having a test on their selected book within the first week of school. She chose a book called The Chosen One by Carol Lynch Williams. I was scrambling for something to read last night so I borrowed this from her. I'm just over 2/3 of the way through it and I'm having a hard time.
I'm having a hard time putting it down and I'm having a hard time stomaching it. It's about a family of Polygamists. This man has three wives and something like 15 kids between them. The main character is a 13 year old girl who is the eldest of the third wife. She's just been "promised" to an Apostle of the Church who also happens to be her Uncle. Not that I agree with polygamy, because I don't, but this is where I'm having trouble stomaching this storyline. This is a thirteen year old girl who will be married to her uncle. She is having a very hard time accepting this and is planning on running away, and that's as far as I've gotten. The decision to marry this girl to her uncle was delivered to the family by The Prophet who claims to have visions or something like that from God Himself. The Apostles and the Prophet are apparently very important people in this community and their word is final.
I don't understand how someone, some people, can blindly follow someone because they "claim" to have a direct line to God. The father in this book is upset that his daughter is to marry her uncle but only because of blood lines. Not because it's a THIRTEEN YEAR OLD GIRL. What parent would give their little girl to a grown man to marry simply because someone claims they were told to do so? I don't get it.
This community, they call themselves a Compound, have gated off their property. There are no books allowed on the property unless it's the bible. Girls are not allowed to choose whom they want to marry but are chosen by the men. The men and the boys are the ones who will leave the compound to get supplies, food, etc. When the three mothers in the story went to town to buy material for this girls wedding dress, the girl was directed not to look directly at anyone and not to look at their clothes because all of it is influenced by Satan. I don't get it.
I could never imagine not being allowed to think for myself. I could never imagine not being able to choose my spouse. I could never imagine having my life lead for me and not having a say in it at all. I can't imagine being so weak that I can't stand up for my children. Anyone who may live this life, or have lived it, probably doesn't agree with me, and that's fine.
Sorry. That's my rant. I just don't get it...
2 comments:
Sounds like a cult. And for sure child abuse. Is this based on a true story? Because if so...then yuck.
It does sound more like a cult than an actual, practiced religion. I hope this isn't a true story. I may be sick all over again...
Post a Comment