This past weekend is kind of a blur. I feel like I did so much yet I don't really remember doing anything. Friday night began our bowling league. This is the first time I've ever been on a bowling team. I suck at bowling and this may be why I've never been on a team before! I don't think I broke 90 for any of the three games! I did have a good time though so that's got to count for something! However, I didn't realize that bowling would stretch out your butt muscles. My butt cheek hurt so badly all weekend! So did my thumb. I need to invest in a bowling ball drilled for my fingers and not use the house balls. Especially since this league goes for 32 weeks... Another plus is that we were able to talk Craig into changing the team name! WOO HOO! For years they've been the Boozing Rockstars. I've despised that team name for as long as M has been bowling with them which is a long time. I don't know why, I just have. This year Craig, Paul, Beth, M and I decided that we would be Hungover Tomorrow. I still like Beth's and my original team name idea - Mish and the Wet Fish. (Paul's nickname is Commish because he's the Commissioner of the guys Fantasy Football league. Comish somehow morphed into Wet Fish. I have no idea why, but the nickname has suck.)
Saturday morning L had a "Friendly" soccer game to see how her team plays together. The majority of these girls have ever played on a team together before, so this was a good way to see how they'll do. If Saturday's "Friendly" game is any indication - they're going to be creamed each and every game. L plays for a U16 team which means the girls are 16 years old or younger. They played against the U14 girls team from their same club. The U14 girls won 5 - 1. This was supposed to be a friendly game, meaning it didn't count for anything and was just for fun. Our girls would start to get rough and another girl from our team would yell "Friendly game! Friendly game!" and the girl getting rough would back off a bit. One of the U14 girls grabbed our player by the arm and threw her to the ground. All because our girl was trying to get the ball away from her. DUH! That's kinda the point! We got a penalty kick for it and that was our only goal. L was not happy with the results of that game.
I managed to burn my face during that game. It never even occurred to me to put sunscreen on before we left the house. You'd think this was my first time. I was sitting on the bleachers with the sun reflecting off them and onto my face for an hour and a half. Now I look like an Umpaloompa with tan lines from my sunglasses. I'm beginning to peel too and that is not a good look for me.
I found out L has a soccer tournament in Overland, KS October 1 - 3rd. She is not a happy camper about this. October 2nd is her Homecoming and she's been planning it since half way through summer. I've already paid for her entrance fee. That was part of the cost of her soccer. I'm responsible for lodging, travel expenses, and meals, but that can be worked out. I've explained to L that I've already partially paid for this and I'm trying to give her time to be responsible and realize that she made a commitment to this team which includes tournaments, and make the "decision" on her own to forgo her Homecoming. I have a feeling she's not going to come to this conclusion, and I'll end up being the "Bitch who makes her miss Homecoming". The way I see it, she desperately wanted to be a part of this team. She wanted to be on a Travel Soccer team instead of a Park District team. I explained to her when I paid for it that she will not be allowed to miss any practices nor any games, and a tournament is a game. (Several games back-to-back actually.) This is not going to be pretty.
Saturday night M had his Fantasy Football draft at Paul's, and K had gone with her friend to Open Gym, so L and I ordered pizza and rented the movie Precious. Oh my god - was that a good movie. I didn't think I'd care for it much because it seems that when movies get raving reviews and awards and shit I end up not liking them much, but I was wrong. That was a really touching movie. If you haven't seen it I recommend you do. Go to Redbox! That way you only spend a dollar and if you end up not liking it - no biggie! I love me some Redbox for that reason alone.
Our air conditioner has been on the fritz since this past Wednesday. And of course it's been hot as hell in Chicago for the last week. My landlord finally had a guy come last night to recharge it. That makes it the 3rd time since Memorial Day Weekend. You shouldn't have to put that much Freon in an air conditioner. The air conditioner is leaking and needs to be fixed but my landlord's such a penny pincher that he'd rather pay for someone to come out every 1 1/2 months to put more Freon in it. The guy out there last night even told my landlord it needs to be replaced. (My landlord comes over to watch any time we have any repair work done on the house.) M walked the air conditioner guy around the house when he was done and the guy told M that our landlord isn't going to do anything to fix the air conditioner. I told M that the season for needing air conditioning is almost over. As long as it lasts until the weather breaks that's fine for this year, but he'll have to do something about it next year. We're going to be there for another 2 years and I'm not going to deal with a busted air conditioner every 1 1/2 months. Especially when it takes our landlord nearly a week to get someone out there to fix it.
So far school has been going well for the kids. I haven't heard any complaints from them in that department. I had to explain to L last night that when she has soccer practice (Mon/Weds/Thurs) she's to come home and do her homework. Then she can go visit her boyfriend at the skate park, but she's not to go there and do her homework. I also had to explain to her that there's no reason for me to drive her the 2 1/2 blocks to her soccer practice when she's walked to Wal Mart over the summer. Wal Mart is like 4 miles away from our house, but she wants me to drive her to soccer practice?! She's out of her tree. I also had to explain to her that she's not to use her cell phone while she's doing her homework. What the heck is wrong with that child?! She can't be further than 2 feet from her phone at any given time. And if she can't read a text IMMEDIATELY she starts twitching.
K actually got up this morning. On. Her. Own. I'm so proud! I heard her alarm going off right before I was walking out my bedroom door and she'd turned it off before I opened her bedroom door! I walked into her room, saw that she'd turned off the alarm and was laying there with her eyes open. She looked at me and said "I'm awake." So I went to make coffee, feed the dogs and let them out. When I got back upstairs I was sure she'd be asleep again, but she wasn't. She was still in her bed, but she was awake. Don't know what happened to change her from a Morning Mess to getting up with her alarm, but I'm liking it!
No comments:
Post a Comment