Lianna & Kiley

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Whatever... Some of This and Some of That

Li has her first day of orientation today.  We had to buy her khaki pants, a white polo shirt and black tennis shoes for her uniform.  She is so nervous.  My concern is that, now remember I love my kids, she's an air head.  She is so incredibly self-centered that she cannot remember the simplest instructions.  She's a teenager so I know she'll outgrow the self-centeredness, I hope, but I really hope that she gets her head out of the clouds long enough to actually learn her job and perform it properly.  I guess only time will tell.  She has made the decision not to get her license until after her "temporary" status becomes a permanent status, which I think is very smart of her.  Once she's got that license she's locked into paying the $32 a month my insurance will increase; job or no job.  I cannot afford to pay that right now and that was one of our rules.  Get your license = pay for the increase in insurance.

She and M had a verbal scuffle the other day.  Li came home from her boyfriends house, rushed through dinner, rushed through her chores and thought that she was going back out.  Um... no.  She may have a curfew but that doesn't mean that she automatically gets to leave the house when she wants because the curfew time hasn't come yet.  When I told her she couldn't go back to his house, she threw a temper tantrum like a 2 year old, went to her room, and slammed the door.  Big no-no.  M went up there to threaten to take off her door and her exact words to him were "FINE!!  I DON'T GIVE A SHIT!"  Both he and I are fed up with her trucker mouth and he lost it.  Took her phone away, took her computer away, took her door off the hinges, grounded her until the end of the year, all sorts of punishments.  After he calmed down he realized that maybe he went a little too far in punishments, and returned the computer, the phone and cut her grounding to a week.  The door is still off the hinges.  That was my punishment.  She'll be lucky if she gets it back as it's not the first time it's been taken off for being slammed.  My punishment is also adding a day to her grounding every time I hear a swear from her.  I have a feeling that may take a while...

I've come to the realization that while I dislike the future SIL, I don't think I dislike her as much as I dislike the comparison of her and I by my Mother.  This dawned on me the other day when my mother decided to lay into me for not wanting to go to my Cousin's Baby Shower.  It's not that I'm not happy for them, but even with the ok from my OB to try again, I'm just not sure how comfortable I will be at a Baby Shower right now.  I'm not the right person to be sitting in a room with a very pregnant woman oohing and aahing over her belly, her gifts, her decorations, etc.  Thanks, but no thanks.  I've explained this to my Cousin and she said she understands.  My mother, on the other hand...

Apparently SIL has had a miscarriage (of course she has) and was out about in public and was just peachy-keen within a week.  She must have told my Mother this because that was her argument to me: "Well, Sarah said the best thing for you is being out and going about life."  Because of course, the best way to convince me of ANYTHING is to put the words "Sarah says" in front of it.  Regardless of this particular conversation, or argument - however you want to look at it, it dawned on me that my Mother has compared me to every serious girlfriend Eric has ever had.  And I have never come out on top.  According to her I can always improve on my posture, speech, schooling, dress, friends, taste in music, etiquette, even my miscarriage, all because his current girlfriend is "better" at whatever is being compaired.  So I have made a decision:  I do not care for Sarah, but I will try to ignore my Mother's comparison of me to Sarah and see if that changes the way I feel about her.

No comments: