Lianna & Kiley

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Handshakes


Li wants to get a job.  Correction she needs to get a job if she’s going to get her license.  My rule is that they will have to pay for the monthly increase in our insurance when they get their license.  Not to mention that if she wants to drive my car she’ll need to be able to put gas in it.  There’s no way I’m paying this much for gas for her to tool around with her friends!!

Jobs are scarce in today’s economy.  There are a shitload of people looking for jobs so I know it’s not going to be easy for her to get one.  When there’s a 25 year old looking just to get a job to pay rent vs a 16 year old who wants gas money I think the 16 year old will lose out. 

There are a few things I’m trying to instill in her that may give her an advantage though.  First of all, most every job application is done online now.  Or at a kiosk in the establishment you want to work at such as Jewel Osco here which is one of the local grocery stores Li wants to get a job at.  She doesn’t want to work in the fast food industry, but that opinion may change the harder it becomes for her to get a job she wants.

I’m trying to get it through to her that if she really wants a job she can’t just fill out an application online and leave it at that!  She has to then go into the store and ask to talk to a manager.  She’ll then have to shake his/her hand, introduce herself and inform them that she applied and she’s very interested in working there.  This is going to be difficult for Li.  First of all, when she doesn’t know someone and she’s talking to them for the first few times she’ll talk so softly that you can’t hear her.  This is problematic to begin with.  The second is that she has a SHITTY handshake!  She’s one of those people who give what I call the “Dead Fish” handshake.  The limp wrist, fingers only, barley touching handshake.

As far as I’m concerned, whenever I receive this handshake I take it as an insult.  Shake my damn hand!  Grab my hand, not hard enough to break the bones, but a good firm grip, and shake it.  I do not have cooties and if you’re that germaphobic carry some hand sanitizer and get over it.

NO MORE DEAD FISH HANDSHAKES!!!

No comments: