Lianna & Kiley

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Jobs Dissatisfaction

I really hate my job. OK. I don’t hate my job so much as I hate not having anything to do. I come to work every day, and I’m here for 9 hours but I don’t really do anything all day other than mess around on the computer. I go home and feel like I’ve just been released from prison. Every once in a while I’ll have a project to work on but those are far and few between. I don’t know why they brought me back from unemployment. I could have kept coming in on a part-time basis and been fine. I’d still have been able to collect my unemployment benefits, plus a little extra on the “side”. I really wish I had a “job” to do rather than sit here waiting for the God damned phone to ring. The highlight of my days is when I can tell a New York stock broker that there’s no way they’re getting through to my boss. How pathetic is that? 

They used to have me work on mini-jobs – like a small window take off or something like that – but ever since they landed this big job that we’re not making a worthwhile profit off of, they’re so consumed with that job that they’re not really looking into any smaller stuff. If they are, they’re not telling me about it. 

I miss Osman. I miss having a “job” to do, and an office with a door. Even when we were slow at Osman there was work to do. Here there’s nothing. It’s partially because MB is so hard to ask for something to do. He gets so into a project or a takeoff, that if I bother him by asking for something to do he has a tendency to get crabby. It’s also partially because C micro-manages. 

There’s nothing worse than someone giving you a job/project to do and then watching over your shoulder while you do it. I swear C makes me so mad sometimes. It’s like he doesn’t think I’ve ever held a job before. I know how to write a letter. I know how to proofread a letter. I know how to file. Anything that’s “typical” office work – I can do and do well, but he insists on explaining EVERYTHING to me. Even when I insist “I can do it, C” he insists on proofing my work, or sending it to him first. It’s bullshit. 

He also doesn’t know how to delegate. He’s so concerned with things being done “his” way that he refuses to delegate any work to me. I could type out all his correspondence – P.O.’s, Change Orders, RFI’s, Letters, etc – but he refuses because he wants to do it himself. Then he complains, “Oh, I have so much work to do. You don’t even know. I’m so busy.” I’m telling ya, I could buy him an extra two hours a week, at least, if he’d just dump all his typing on me. When I see letters that he’s written to GC’s it makes me cringe. He’s got paragraphs starting with an indent, and run on sentences galore. Business letters do not require an indent at the beginning of the paragraph. You only do that when you’re writing a letter to grandma. You don’t do that when you’re writing a letter to the Big Boss Man who’s running your job. It makes you look like a pansy.

Now I found out last night that they're letting B go on Friday.  This sucks.  He's my comic relief here.  He and I get along well and now he's going to be gone.  I can't even tell him!  That sucks more than anything else.  I wish so badly that I could tell him, "Don't waste your money on hockey equipment because you're going to need that money for rent and food."  Can you claim unemployment if you get fired?  I don't know if you can or not.  I hope for his sake he can. 

I do know that he's pretty fed up with his job so maybe it won't be as bad as I think.  I know he's been looking online for a new job because he and C don't get along too well, but I think it was more wishful thinking than actual hardcore job hunting.  While the economy seems to be picking up it's still not an ideal time to be out of work.

On the other hand, and I feel awful saying this, maybe with B being gone I'll get more stuff to do.  Ha!  Yea, right.  Who am I kidding?  C will take it all on.  Or R will pick up a little bit, but I'll be the last person they ask to do anything.

I miss my old job.

No comments: