Am I the only parent who makes their kids do chores? Does anyone else remember having to do chores when they were little, or am I an abnormality? Both of my kids, well if I’m being honest it’s more K then L, but both of them complain that they’re the only one of their friends who has to do chores. They insist that none of their other friends have to do chores, and I truly believe this to be bullshit.
Since I’m being honest, I agree that my kids probably have more daily chores than the “normal” kid, but I really don’t think it’s a big deal. Let me show you what I mean.
L’s daily chores:
Room picked up before she leaves for school
Vacuum front room & entryway
Pick up dog poop
On Tuesday nights take garbage to the curb (bring cans in on Wednesday afternoon)
Every other day – dishes (includes cleaning up from dinner) and sweep kitchen floor
K’s daily chores:
Room picked up before she leaves for school
Vacuum TV room & dining area
Pick up dog poop
Bring in the mail
Every other day – dishes (includes cleaning up from dinner) and sweep kitchen floor
The reason they’re responsible for vacuuming the front room, entryway, TV room, and dining rooms is simply because of the dogs. If we didn’t have hardwood floors, and two dogs who shed like CRAZY then that chore could possibly be an every other day thing. And the dog that creates the most fur is their dog anyway. I don’t think that list above, for either child, is excessive. However, if you listen to K it’s like I’m asking her to be Little Orphan Annie.
Then she complains “you don’t do any work. We do all the work around here, and we don’t even get paid for it!” My standard response is that I go to work every day to help pay for the food in her stomach, the clothes on her back, and the roof over her head, and I buy the food that I cook for her – those are my chores.
I ask you – am I asking too much from these kids?! Keep in mind that they’re not toddlers. They’re able bodied teenagers.
No comments:
Post a Comment