If there's one thing I can't stand it's someone who has to put their two cents in for EVERYTHING. I received an email today that included a Letter to the Editor that never got published. Supposedly because the paper it was submitted to didn't have the same view on the subject that the letter was about. Whatever. I thought it was right on the money. It was about Illegal Immigrants who come to the US and think that they have access to the same rights that Legal Immigrants have. Notice the two very important words before the word "immigrant" that I've used. Illegal vs Legal. There is a difference and if you think there's not - look it up.
Anyway, I forwarded this email to several people and my lovely brother, EJ, decided that now is when he's going to play Policically-Correct-Gym-Teacher:
"The person who wrote that letter obvioulsy has no clue what it means to be an AMERICAN "freedom". Erin please stop sending me these racist and biggot filled emails they are absolutly disgusting, I hope you are not teaching your daughters to think this way."
By the way, in case your wondering, this comes from the person who has, in my opinoin, the biggest vocabulary of racal slurs and uses them whenever he feels like it. Never is a black person just a black person to him. They're "Spider Monkeys". A Mexican isn't a Mexican. They're "Lawncare". And the list goes on. However, suddenly I'm the one who's a biggot and a racist.
Here's the email I sent:
"My wife, Rosemary, wrote a wonderful letter to the editor of the OC Register which, of course,was not printed. So, I decided to "print" it myself by sending it out on the Internet. Pass it along if you feel so inclined. Written in response to a series of letters to the editor in the Orange County Register:
Dear Editor:
So many letter writers have based their arguments on how this land is made up of immigrants. Ernie Lujan for one, suggests we should tear down the Statue of Liberty because the people now in question aren't being treated the same as those who passed through Ellis Island and other ports of entry.
Maybe we should turn to our history books and point out to people like Mr. Lujan why today's American is not willing to accept this new kind of immigrant any longer. Back in 1900 when there was a rush from all areas of Europe to come to the United States , people had to get off a ship and stand in a long line in New York and be documented. Some would even get down on their hands and knees and kiss the ground. They made a pledge to uphold the laws and support their new country in good and bad times. They made learning English a primary rule in their new American households and some even changed their names to blend in with their new home.
They had waved good bye to their birth place to give their children a new life and did everything in their power to help their children assimilate into one culture. Nothing was handed to them. No free lunches, no welfare, no labor laws to protect them. All they had were the skills and craftsmanship they had brought with them to trade for a future of prosperity.
Most of their children came of age when World War II broke out. My father fought along side men whose parents had come straight over from Germany , Italy , France and Japan . None of these 1st generation Americans ever gave any thought about what country their parents had come from. They were Americans fighting Hitler, Mussolini and the Emperor of Japan . They were defending the United States of America as one people.
When we liberated France , no one in those villages were looking for the French-American or the German American or the Irish American. The people of France saw only Americans. And we carried one flag that represented one country. Not one of those immigrant sons would have thought about picking up another country's flag and waving it to represent who they were. It would have been a disgrace to their parents who had sacrificed so much to be here. These immigrants truly knew what it meant to be an American. They stirred the melting pot into one red, white and blue bowl.
And here we are with a new kind of immigrant who wants the same rights and privileges. Only they want to achieve it by playing with a different set of rules, one that includes the entitlement card and a guarantee of being faithful to their mother country. I'm sorry, that's not what being an American is all about. I believe that the immigrants who landed on
Ellis Island in the early 1900's deserve better than that for all the toil, hard work and sacrifice in raising future generations to create a land that has become a beacon for those legally searching for a better life. I think they would be appalled that they are being used as an example by those waving foreign country flags.
And for that suggestion about taking down the Statue of Liberty , it happens to mean a lot to the citizens who are voting on the immigration bill. I wouldn't start talking about dismantling the United States just yet."
For the record - I've never had an issue with anyone coming to this country to better their way of life. That's what this country was founded upon. I do, however, have an issue with someone coming to the US in an ILLEGAL way. That is the word I have a HUGE problem with. You want to come here and earn a better living? Go for it. You want to come here and have a better quality of life for your family? You have my blessing. You want to come here to escape a corrupt government and have the ability to worship how you want, or don't worship at all? Wonderful! I wish you all the luck! DO IT LEGALLY!
I'm so fucking pissed right now, and the fact that EJ decided to tell me that I'm racist and a biggot is just half the part that I'm upset with. He can go fuck himself for all I care. Him and his beast of a girlfriend (but she's a whole other blog story). What I'm angry about is that I sent that email to several people. People I thought would read it and say - Hmm... Maybe this writer has a glimmer of something here. You wanna know who got his reply? Everyone I sent the email to in the first place.
It doesn't matter what I do or say - he's got a fucking comment about it. I let my girls watch horror movies. They like them. I think it's good that they're not sissies about that stuff. Apparently, according to EJ, I've desensitized them to gore. What does that even mean?! I let L stay out on weekends until 10:30 pm. According to EJ, I'm not supervising my children properly. What? She's a 15 year old Freshman for fuck sake!! What am I supposed to do? Put her on a fucking leash like some parents put on their toddlers in the mall? K is trying to find out what sport she likes. We've tried several. She was in karate for several years and got tired of it. I didn't renew her school's contract and let her try cheerleading. According to EJ, I don't make her finish what she starts. She did karate for 4 FUCKING YEARS!! Finish what she started? What the hell didn't she finish?! What, because she didn't get a black belt?!
The best is when he criticizes me. I didn't finish college because it got too expensive, and I didn't have the time anymore. I apparently set a bad example for my kids teaching them that when school gets too hard you can quit. I'm so sorry. At the time I was working one full-time job, two part-time jobs, and school was enough work to be considered full-time, but supposedly I quit because it was too hard? Fuck him.
No comments:
Post a Comment