Lianna & Kiley

Monday, February 27, 2012

Some People Have No Class

I went to my Cousin B's Bridal Shower on Saturday.  Sarah went as well and apparently thought that I was her BFF.  Every time I moved to another room or chair, somehow she ended up right next to me.  At one point I was holding my Cousin C's baby and Sarah was sitting next to me just salivating to hold him and I hear her tell someone "I want one of these.  I want one so bad.  That's next on my list so Eric better just watch out!  Haha!"  Sometimes I wonder if Eric even knows what he's getting into with this one.

When Cousin B was opening her shower gifts Sarah had a comment for every single gift which she would stage whisper to me because, of course, she was practically sitting on my lap.  Every.  Single.  Gift.  I don't care if Sarah added a hot air popcorn popper to her registry just last night because her's burned out last weekend.  I don't care if she wants a bobber cooler like B's because she has so many places to use one.  Yes, I'm aware that the dishes B and her Fiance picked out are nice because I HAVE EYES AND I CAN SEE THEM RIGHT THERE, and I don't give a shit that they're similar to the ones that Sarah picked out.  I get that Sarah's excited about her wedding.  I do, but this particular Bridal Shower wasn't about her.  This was B's day to be the center of attention.  I'll be able to see what Sarah registered for when it comes time to buy them a gift.  My other Cousin K, who is getting married three weeks after B, was sitting on the other side of the room watching B open her gifts and giving the appropriate "That's nice" comment and nothing else.  Because she has class.

Finally after the shower when we were all saying our good-byes Sarah asked me if I would be around tomorrow (that being Sunday) because she will call me to discuss the girls dresses for her wedding.  I figure I need to just get this over with and told her that would be fine.  She never called me yesterday.  My Mother asked me last night via text message if Sarah and I got everything worked out.  I replied that Sarah never called me and my Mother decided to tell me that I needed to call Sarah then.  Really?  Why on EARTH do I need to call her?  It's not my wedding that needs to be planned/coordinated/designed.  I would never expect anyone else to call me to discuss an event that is entirely my thing.  I don't get it.  I really don't.

I had made the mistake of riding to and from the shower with my Mother.  Luckily Ki was with us so that curbed a lot of the conversation, but my Mother still found a way to get it in there that I need to put away money for the girls dresses so that I can buy what Sarah wants them to have.  I don't know how to get it across to my Mother that I have $0.00 extra a paycheck to put away.  M and I are currently living paycheck to paycheck with maybe $200 in the bank after bills are paid.  With two older cars that seem to need work here and there pretty consistently, two teenagers who eat me out of house and home,  and trying to get us to a position so that when the baby comes that we WON'T be living paycheck to paycheck so badly - I have no money to put towards dresses that are going to cost about $120 each plus alterations, and that they won't wear again.  I simply don't have it.  Not now.  Not next week. Not next month.  I know that this is an important day to Sarah and Eric, but it's not my important day.  They didn't go out on a limb to do anything special for my wedding party.  As a matter of fact I heard later that snide comments were made about the fact that I didn't even have a "proper" wedding party.  (These were told to me after the fact so I'm not entirely sure who said it or what was really said - only that it was implied that Eric, Sarah and or Mark were the commentator.) The way I look at it - I have something coming that is more important to me than their wedding, and that something (someone) comes first.  

2 comments:

Gia said...

UGH! I hate it when people won't let others have their day - you know they're the type of people who freak out if the attention isn't on them on their own days. And I am SO SICK of other people acting like their weddings should be MY special day too -- two people scheduled weddings on Sunday nights or Friday night, so that i have to take off of work. It's such bs - I don't want to use MY earned vacation time for YOUR wedding. Grrr. I wouldn't be putting any money away either.

Erin T. said...

EXACTLY!! Their special day does not equal my time and effort. (Especially when I don't like them!!)