Lianna & Kiley

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

I'm Sorry!

I've been trying for DAYS to write a post about our 4th of July party, but I want to include pictures.  Since my camera battery died after taking 4 stinking pictures when the damn battery had been charging ALL friggin day I had to resort to taking my pictures with my Blackberry.  Good news is that my blackberry has a really good camera, the bad news is that it takes too much time and effort to email those pictures from my phone to my email address and... Well.  I'm lazy.  So a post, complete with pictures, will be forthcoming.  Eventually.  For now you have to settle for "It was a fantastic night full of bounce house, alcohol, fireworks, alcohol, a fire in the fire pit, and alcohol."  I will let you in on this one little secret: 


Bounce House + Weak Bladder = Bad Idea.

'Nuff said.

This past Sunday my father, Lianna, Kiley and I went to visit my Grandfather (my Dad's Dad if you will) in St. Louis.  He was forced to move into an assisted living facility this weekend due to his inability to care for himself any longer.  Truthfully he should have moved here about 2 years ago, but my aunt who's in charge of his health and well being decided that he should stay in his house.  Whatever - he's where he needs to be now and that's all that matters.

It was a quick trip - we left for St. Louis Sunday morning and arrived there at about 2:30 or 3 pm.  We took Grandpa out to dinner Sunday night, met him for breakfast on Monday and were back home around 4 pm Monday afternoon.  After dinner on Sunday my Grandfather noticed my engagement ring and the following conversation took place (Keep in mind that my Grandfather is 87 and while his long term memory is pretty sharp the short term is shot.):

Grandpa:  You're married?
Me:  Not yet, Grandpa.  I'm engaged. 
Grandpa:  Is he married?
Me:  No Grandpa!  
Grandpa:  Are you sure he's not married?
Me: Yes, I'm pretty confident he's not married.

A couple of minutes later we had this beauty (this time keeping in mind that Grandpa's never met M.):

Grandpa:  Are you married?
Me:  No Grandpa.  Not yet.  I'm engaged.
Grandpa:  You'd better keep an eye on him.
Me:  Why's that?
Grandpa:  Because he has a wandering eye.
Me:  He does?  How do you know this?
Grandpa:  He's got his eye on another girl.  You'd better watch him.  Marry him soon.
Me:  Grandpa?  How do you know all this?
Grandpa:  I can tell.  By the way he acts.

The whole time I'm trying very hard not to bust out laughing because he seemed very serious.  I told my dad about this conversation while we were on an alcohol hunt for the hotel room and my dad said that he thinks my Grandpa was just messing with me.  Apparently my mother has never known when to believe my grandfather or when to ignore him because apparently that's how he entertains himself.  I'm not so sure this is what he was doing.  As he was asking me the questions he looked very serious.

It was a good visit though.  My Grandfather is definitely where he needs to be now.  He's very forgetful and has had several small strokes while no one was around - it was time for him to move into a facility.  He's not completely on board yet - for some reason he believes that he's just trying it out and will move back to his home very soon - but over time he will be just fine.

 Lianna, Grandpa, Kiley and my Dad

Now for the BIG ANNOUNCEMENT OF THE DAY!!!

Kiley is officially 14 years old today!!  
Happy Birthday, Kiley Ann Marie Louise Hungry Pig Booger Cookie Kaka









I have no clue why these came out so small... And unfortunately I don't have a lot of photos of Ki here at the office.  I'll have to see what I can dig up at home and post tomorrow for you all!

Laters Gators!!

1 comment:

Ms. Ro Chelle said...

Your Grandpa sounds funny. Hope your daughter had a great birthday!