Lianna & Kiley

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

I Have A Confession...

Hello.  My name is Erin and I'm an addict.  I'm addicted to reality TV.  All sorts of Reality TV.  I am addicted to shows that have kids in them specifically (those aren't the only reality TV shows I watch).  I don't know why.  It could be because these shows make me realize that my kids aren't as bad as they seem sometimes, or that instead of having two kids I could have enough kids to form a league of some sort. 

There are some reality TV shows that I refuse to watch.  The Duggars for one.  I realize that everyone is entitled to their own beliefs (if you've read my blog for any amount of time you already know this.  If not - read my earlier posts.  I'd link them here, but honestly, I don't know how) and that's all good, but there comes a point where that woman is going to be chasing one of her kids up the stairs and her uterus is going to fall out.  I also refuse to be sucked into the cesspool that is Jersey Shore.  I have friends who swear this is the FUNNIEST show ever, but I don't see it.  They irritate me with their shellacked hair, fake tans and stupid nicknames.

I used to be a fan of Jon and Kate Plus 8 until that blew up into a competition of who's the better parent.  Been there done that.  I don't need to relive that period in my life.  Granted I had less kids then they do, but none the less.  Divorce is messy when there are kids involved no matter how you try, and I don't feel like reliving that time of my life.

I have moved onto bigger and better things!  Big Brother for one.  There is nothing better than being a virtual fly on the wall in a house with 13 people and watching them tear each other apart for $500,000.  Granted I've only watched the last two seasons, but I'm hooked on it now.  I can't wait until next summer!  My other guilty pleasure is Teen Mom.  I know this falls into my previously mentioned "been there done that" phrase, but it's a train wreck I can't turn off, and in fact have preset into my DVR to record faithfully.

Teen Mom is sort of along the lines of Supernanny for me.  When I watch Supernanny I realize that my kids aren't the worst kids EVER.  When I watch Teen Mom I realize just how far I've come.  I was a teen mom.  I was only 17 when I got pregnant with L, and 18 when she was born.  I can't tell you how many times, when she was a toddler, I was told what a good "big sister" I was for watching my "little sister" for my mom.  I watch these girls, who have made some HARD decisions in their lives, live with those decisions and struggle to do what they think is right.

It's such a train wreck for me because I've been there!  I know exactly what they're thinking and how their brains are working.  I thought it would all be fine and dandy, too.  Oh yes I did!  I was sure that Ken would have his job forever, we'd live in a little house and life would be grand.  Little did I know that Ken would job-jump his entire life (He's still doing it and he's 39 now), we would live - quite literally - hand to mouth, and we'd move 8 times in four years.  By the time we got evicted from our 2nd apartment in a row I'd had enough.  I didn't want to live like that anymore, and I didn't want our kids to live like that anymore.  I was lucky enough to have parents who let me and the girls move back home.  I was lucky enough to have that support and be able to get my GED and get a job and become a stable parent my kids needed.  Had my parents not be willing or able I have no idea where I'd be right now, but it wouldn't be pretty.

No comments: