Lianna & Kiley

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

You're Wrong. Just Admit It And Get On With Your Life

Why is it that some people just can't admit when they're wrong and leave it at that?  Why do some people insist on arguing their case even after proof that they're wrong has been provided?

Example:
Both my Aunt D and I have naturally curly hair.  She posted on Facebook the other day a little joke asking how you wear your naturally curly hair when it's humid and then posted right after that "Frizzy!"  The obvious joke being that when you have naturally curly hair you have very little choice as to how your hair behaves in humid weather.

I posted on her thread about how when it's humid my go-to hair style is to straighten it.  I used to wear my long hair in a messy bun but since cutting it shorter than my normal length it's now too short for the messy bun.  I also commented that if she can pull it off she could try a scarf.

This was kind of an inside "joke" between my aunt and myself.  We constantly joke about how our hair is ridiculously frizzy all the time.

One of her friends commented that she could try product.  To which both my aunt and I replied that there really is no product that truly takes away the frizz unless you coat your hair in it.  In which case your hair is greasy and gross.  The best you can do is manage the frizz to an extent.

A couple of days later another of my aunts friends commented that there IS product that really DOES take away the frizz (she really wrote those words in CAPS, too).  She then listed two or three products and proceeded to tout these as if it were her job to sell these products.  What really took me by surprise though was that she herself said in the same comment something along the line of "I know you're thinking - but she has straight hair.  I got a perm recently and can TOTALLY understand your issue with frizz!  LOL!"

I couldn't let it go.  I had to comment.  My comment was along the lines of:
"There is a huge difference between a synthetic curl, or perm, and a natural curl.  Your curl still has the qualities of your straight hair simply curled."

I figured that was that.

I was wrong.

I then got messaged by this woman still arguing her case!  She was insisting that I didn't know what I was talking about and that if I just tried these products she's sure that I'd win "the battle of the frizz"!  I couldn't believe this lady.  What I find funniest is that I have tried the products she was mentioning and they don't work any better or any worse than any other product.  Yet again I tried to explain to her that when my hair is straightened it does not have the smooth and shiny appearance that someone with naturally straight hair has.  It's still a coarser hair overall because just straightening it does not change the make up of the hair itself.  When her straight hair was permed it did not change the make up of her naturally straight hair so the anti-frizz products probably did work for her as her hair is 90% less frizzy naturally than mine or my Aunt's.

She replied to me again this time insisting that I don't know how to manage my curly hair and that I would probably benefit from some professional assistance from an experienced and educated hair stylist.

Yeah.  Because after 33 years* of hair so curly I look like Little Orphan Annie if my hair is cut shorter than my shoulders, I don't know how to manage my curly hair.  Bite me.

I proved her wrong with examples.  All she had to do was look at my Aunt's hair and she'd realize that she was wrong, yet she still insisted she was right.

*I'm not shaving a few years off my age.  I had poker straight blond hair until I was 2.  My Mother insists that I woke up on my 2nd birthday with my hair curled to my head and brown. There are pictures of me in the fall before my 2nd birthday with very straight, very blond hair.  Then there are photos of me in late winter/early spring after my second birthday and my hair is curled to my head and red/brown in color.  I shit you not.

1 comment:

Ms. Ro Chelle said...

Some people just have to be right. And get the last word. I am jealous of your curly hair. Despite your fight with frizz. Mine is straight. So very straight.