Being that I was 19 years old at the time I didn't really have much in common with the ladies there. They were all at least 35/40 or older. However, the 2 shop guys were in their early to late 20's. Who do you think I gravitated to? That's right. The guys.
Let me tell you, my MIL thought that I was just the worst of the worst for even talking to these guys. God forbid I speak to someone of the opposite sex when I was married! OH, THE HORROR!!!
I knew she wasn't overly happy that I would talk to these guys, but I didn't care. I did it anyway. I wasn't doing anything wrong. I was just talking to them.
Well one day I made the cardinal mistake of going with one of the guys to pick up a large lunch order. Whenever this guy would go out to lunch, he'd ask everyone in the building if they wanted anything because he was NICE like that. This one time nearly everyone wanted something. I offered to help him get it and bring it back to the shop. We were gone for 10 - 15 minutes. I swear that was all.
HOLY HELL DID THE SHIT HIT THE FAN.
According to my MIL it was bad enough that I would talk to these guys. How DARE I leave the shop with one of them. Because of course I was boning him in the car on the way to get the lunch. Because we were gone long enough for that to even be a possibility.
This particular lunch run was the start of the decline of my marriage. Not that it was all her fault, but the fact that your in-laws (because she dragged her daughter, other son, and husband into the mix) HATE you does not make for an easy marriage.
Fast forward 15 years....
Ki went to visit with her dad's side of the family for Spring Break. She called me, like I asked her to, when her Grandmother (my ex-MIL) picked her up to take her to her Aunt's house. I was at work and Justin was up front BSing with me while he was waiting for something when she called. I was asking her questions over the phone and Justin was mock answering them from in front of me. I was laughing and told Justin to knock it off. Ki asked me who I was talking to and I told her (she's known Justin for a long time, too).
Then, without thinking about who I was talking to, I told her to make sure that she tells her Grandmother that I was talking to a guy at work who wasn't my husband and she'd better tell my husband on me. When her reply was "Huh?" I realized that I was talking to my 14 year old daughter about her ignorant Grandmother, and I told her "Never mind."
I knew as soon as she hung up the phone with me that she'd say something to her Grandmother. Needless to say when Ki returned a week later she was full of questions about my comment and wanting to know why her grandmother was saying that "some people never learn". As much as I would have loved to tell her the story behind the comment, I'm not that stupid. I'm just lucky that Ki had been off her meds for the week and it didn't take long for her to become distracted and forget her questioning.
Lets just hope that she doesn't remember later because I have no idea how I can make that story age and person appropriate....
*I don't have any idea why Blogger is underlining certain words. I didn't do that to emphasize anything! I did capitalize but I didn't underline.
1 comment:
my 14 year old has the same problem. dont want to say what it is just in case someone might read this. so just email me
perezjoanne65@yahoo.com
Post a Comment