Lianna & Kiley

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The Weasel

We have a new addition to our family.  To be more accurate, Li has a new addition.  For her birthday waaaaaay back in May, when she was talking about getting a hamster, we gave her $50 toward the purchase of a cage, bedding, wheel, water bottle, etc.  Whatever $50 would get her and she'd come up with the rest.  Her idea of a cute, harmless, noiseless hamster turned into the thoughts of getting a ferret.

I blame her preschool teacher.  Miss Megan got a ferret during a class trip to the pet store and brought that ferret into the classroom fairly often.  This was when Li was 4.  She's now 16 had has NEVER forgotten the ferret that Miss Megan introduced her to and has said for 12 years how much she'd like to have a ferret.

Li has a new pet and her name is Bella.

This is right after I was poking on her little hammock sleep thing.  Yeah, I woke her up!

 She's investigating me to see what the heck I wanted after I so rudely interrupted her nap.

 
 Apparently when her ears itch - she scratches them like a dog!

I think she's planning her escape here.  She was very interested in bedroom door that she's looking at.

All in all I think she's an interesting animal.  She makes little to no noise at all, she's friendly, although a little bitey, and her acrobatics are rather fun to watch.  She reminds me of a puppy who can't quite figure out how to move his body in sync with his feet.  She does this thing when she wants to play where she arches her back and hops around on all four legs.  All the books and online things we've researched call this the "Weasel War Dance" and this is when her acrobatics come into play because she falls over stuff, off the bed, runs into the wall...  I'll have to attempt to take a video of it and post that here.

Now Li needs to teach her not to nip.  It hurts when she bites, but we've been told that it is a correctable behavior as well as a behavior that she should outgrow.

Here's to hoping that Li will keep her room clean enough for this animal to be out of her cage 3-4 hours a day.  I have a feeling that's not going to happen...

2 comments:

Gia said...

Awww she's cute! Good luck with the no bitey thing.

Adam said...

My aunt had one of those ferrets. They liked him, but I never attempted to play with it like a dog or a cat. Seems like it always wanted to bite me.