Lianna & Kiley

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Let me start by saying this:  I highly dislike Li's weasel.  

The damn thing won't stop biting my toes and yesterday when she bit my butt was the end of our relationship.  She's a juvenile so she's nippy, and Li's trying to correct it; however, I dislike being bitten by any animal.  Her bites are not hard - that's to say they don't break the skin - but even a non-skin-breaking bite to your toes is painful.

Knowing her penchant for nips to my toes I went into Li's room yesterday and decided to sit on the floor with my feet under me so she couldn't get to them.  (She being Bella the Weasel, not Lianna.) She crawled on my lap, investigated my sweatshirt pocket, ran up my arm and back down my front and under my legs only to come around behind me and bite me right on the ass.  

That's it.  I'm done.  I don't like being bitten and those little nips are much like a puppy's nips.  Those teeth are sharp!

I had a rough night last night.  I didn't get much sleep at all.  My company is changing insurance carriers as of February 1.  I knew this was a possibility but did not know for sure that this was taking place until this past Friday. (Because every damn thing in this company is a HUGE secret and must be kept quiet.)  I suddenly realized that some insurance companies consider pregnancy to be a pre-existing condition.  

I broke down and called my Mother.  She works for a very large health insurance company and I figured she'd have some insight for me.  First she said that it can't be considered a pre-existing condition.  Then she said that it's possible that my new insurance company will consider it to be pre-existing because my company is a small business with less than 51 employees, which gives the insurance companies the right to determine certain things to be pre-existing.  

So I went to the internet.  I went to the insurance company website.  I found that they will cover pregnancy (yay) if you're switching from one policy within that insurance company to another policy within that company (getting a little sweaty right about now) otherwise it's pre-existing and they will not cover maternity. 

I start to panic at this point.  

I'm not going to be covered for this pregnancy?!  I can't get on M's insurance because he also works for a Small Business and has the same insurance that my company is switching to. 

So I go to the State website to check into getting state insurance.  Nope.  Now that M and I are married our combined income puts us over the limits for even the lowest coverage via the state insurance program.

By this time I've got the Ugly Cry going on.  I've got snot running down my nose, I can't see through the tears and I can hardly breathe.

I spent all night worrying about this.  

I got to work this morning and sent Virginia, my boss, a text asking her if she was coming in today because I had to talk to her and Mike, my other boss, about an insurance issue.  

I spent 20 minutes in Mike's office with him and Virginia talking about what I was told last night about policies, what I read online at the insurance company's website, and what I found out about the State insurance.  Mike said that he'd talk to our insurance broker and see if there was something that could be done.  3 minutes later I got a call from the broker - the pregnancy is covered!!

The broker explained to me that even if I was a new hire as of today, and I was 9 months pregnant, the insurance company would still cover me because my company has a group policy.  If I was purchasing an individual plan the insurance company would not cover my pregnancy, but because of the group plan the insurance company will cover the pregnancy.  

Cue more crying because my hormones are all over the damn place and I cry about everything now apparently.  

The sky is blue?  Blubber, blubber, blubber...

(And I don't know why everything is centered.  Blogger is weird.)

2 comments:

Gia said...

I'm so glad that worked out for you! What a scare, I'd be totally freaked too.

Erin T. said...

Talk about a freak out! Holy moly!