Lianna & Kiley

Friday, January 27, 2012

1 Down. 13 To Go?


I had my first OB appointment yesterday.  I thought it would be too early for an ultrasound and it was.  So basically, I make M come with me for absolutely no reason!  We did talk to the OB though and he gave me a prescription for progesterone pills that may or may not prevent another miscarriage.  There’s no real proof that it WILL prevent one, but there’s no harm in taking it.  Basically, the thought is that a miscarriage in the first trimester is caused by chromosomes not forming right therefore the baby doesn’t grow properly, but it can also be caused by your ovaries not producing enough progesterone to keep the pregnancy going until the placenta is big enough to take over the making of the progesterone.  That’s the layman’s version anyway.  My OB said that he was prescribing it for me for two reasons: 

#1 – My “advanced” maternal age (because 35 is OLD, Bitches!)
#2 – The previous miscarriage

He said that if my ovaries are producing the progesterone properly – more progesterone via a pill every night isn’t going to hurt anything.  The most it will do – if it’s not medically necessary – will be to make me feel “more pregnant”.  Since I don’t feel pregnant to begin with, I don’t see much harm in it.

Speaking of not feeling pregnant… Other than a missed period, being tired, and some sore body parts (read: Boobs) I don’t have any symptoms at all.  With the last pregnancy I was so ill by now.  I couldn’t look at cheese without feeling nauseous, and could barely eat anything other than carbs.  I was so sick.  With this one I’ve got nothing.  I actually took another home pregnancy test yesterday before my appointment to make sure I wasn’t nuts.  Although doing that probably makes me nuts!!

My OB also sent me to have additional blood drawn today, and I have to go back on Monday to have the same blood work done.  Apparently there are certain “numbers” they look for that indicates a woman is pregnant.  If the pregnancy is progressing normally then those numbers should double every 3 days.  My OB said his office would call me by Wednesday and let me know how things are going, and I have an ultrasound scheduled for next Friday.

We still haven’t told anyone other than the girls, and Justin and Jessie.  M is dying to tell people but I just can’t do it yet. 

Consider yourselves privileged!  You guys, my Blogy Friends (Blogie? Does anyone really know how that is supposed to be spelled?!?) are the few outside my little bubble of protection who know the truth. 

Thanks for keeping your traps shut!!  

1 comment:

Ms. Ro Chelle said...

I took 5 pregnancy tests before I allowed myself to believe I was pregnant with The Seven Year Old. And I took about three with The Toddler. Every time the lines were there but faint enough to make me doubt them!!