I guess this post is a little over due. Thank you for your supporting comments on my last post. I do appreciate it.
The update since that posting is as follows: Ki came home at 5:30 on Thursday and has been pleasant since then. She hasn’t argued with anyone, hasn’t had an attitude (minor things with Li but that’s just being siblings), and basically has been a pleasant person. I was fearful that I was going to get an earful from the parents. I was sure that they were going to talk to Ki about why she wanted to come to their house and I’d be afforded 100% of the blame. However, when my mother dropped Ki’s stuff off on Thursday morning after dropping Ki off at school, she informed me that she didn’t even ask Ki about it. My mother’s exact words were “There’s no way I’m getting in the middle of an argument between a 14-yr old and her mother.” The same cannot usually be said for my father, but I haven’t heard from him so your guess is as good as mine. I’m sure he talked to her (I can’t picture my Dad letting that go without sticking his nose into it) but hopefully he will keep his silence.
We had a family therapy session last night with Ki’s therapist. Ki was less than thrilled with this arrangement. I think she feels that we were infringing on something that is “hers”. However, I think it was very important. The problem is that in my family we don’t talk about anything. Something makes us mad, we yell or scream and then it’s over and it’s not talked about again. This is how I was raised. So I kind of felt like I was pulling the scab off a wound that was healing. Even though I know it’s not healing – more like festering until the next episode. So… Ki felt that we were picking on her. You could tell by her body language. I guess we’ll just have to keep trying to communicate better and we’ll see how the next two weeks go.
On another subject – My friend Jessie’s son had to get stitches in his head on Monday. M and I were sitting in the living room being the bums we intended to be all day when Jessie called me. I answered with my typical greeting to her “What’s up, Hooker?” The woman was hysterical. I could hardly understand her. I caught enough to bolt upright and scramble to put on shoes and grab my purse. (I was braless at the time. Yes, Ladies, I had a sweatshirt on but just hadn’t put on a bra at the time.) I think I broke the sound barrier getting to her house. Andrew had been running from the living room into the kitchen (Andrew’s 2 ½) when he tripped over either his own feet or the vacuum cord and crashed head first into the corner of her kitchen island. She couldn’t get a hold of her parents and I was the next closest person to come sit with the girls while she and Justin took Little Man to the ER. However, all this was learned after the fact! All I understood from her phone call was: Andrew, Blood, ER, Watch the girls.
When I got to their house she and Justin were already in the car. The girls are standing across the street w/a neighbor. As the girls were eating lunch, food makes everything better and calms every situation, right? As the girls were eating they were telling me about how scared they were and how much blood there was. I tried to explain to them that Andrew would be just fine; he’d have some stitches in his head for a little while, and that he’d be back to normal by that night but all they could focus on was “all the blood”. How do you explain to 8 year olds that a cut on your head will bleed a lot more than the same cut on your leg? By then Jessie had gotten a hold of her parents and they came over to take the girls back to their house for the afternoon.
Jessie sent me pictures of Little Man in the hospital and his cut looked gross. He ended up with 9 stitches – 2 on the inside and 7 on the outside. However, she also told me later in the evening that he was back to being his crazy self by bedtime. His stitches come out this Tuesday already! That’s quick!
That was my drama for the week and my fun filled holiday weekend. I have nothing else planned until this Saturday when Jessie and I go to DSW Shoes to foot rape boots. (She wants a new pair of boots and I just want to try some on!)
1 comment:
Keep on trucking along with your family therapy sessions. It will pay off!
I left you an award over at my blog post today. Congrats!
Post a Comment