I have a cousin who joined the Army after high school graduation last year. He completed his basic training in... Georgia, I think, and his first station was in Alaska. That worked out good for him because being stationed in Alaska is considered overseas so he received oversea pay. As an 18 year old kid who has never had a "real" job that was money in the bank for him as far as he's been concerned! Ever since he graduated basic he's been talking about how badly he wants to go to Afghanistan. To the normal person this would seem a little odd; WANTING to go to Afghanistan, but if you knew Brian you'd realize that is a very typical Brian. Well he gets his wish tomorrow. He deploys tomorrow for what I believe is a year assignment. I could be wrong but I know I will hear about it all on Sunday at my parent's house. His mother will be there for Easter. I just hope he stays safe and comes home on his own.
I can't believe it's already Easter. Is it me or did the last year go by fast? Easter always sort of signifies the beginning of Summer to me. Don't ask. I know it doesn't make sense! Easter also means that it's L's birthday next. This will be a big one for her. Her Super Sweet 16! Ok. So it's not SUPER but it will be her 16th birthday. I have to do something for her. I'm not a birthday party throwing kind of Mom. While the girls were in grade school we lived in an apartment, which didn't leave any room to host a party. Once we moved into our first rental house they no longer wanted to have a "party". They were happy enough to have a couple friends over for pizza, cake and to hang out. I just want to do something different for her this year. It's her 16th birthday for cripes sake! She should have something fun for this one.
I really don't know what to do for her. I was thinking that I'd take her and a couple girlfriends out to lunch and then a movie. Not McDonald's either, but somewhere like Olive Garden. Or maybe Chinese - she LOVES Chinese food. Someone suggested I take her and a friend to get mani/pedi's but that's my mom's thing to do with the girls for their birthday. What the heck would a 16 year old want for her birthday? Besides a car that is. She's not getting that! I'm trying desperately to remember when I was 16... It's not working so well. I'm only 34 but it seems like 16 was forever ago.
Hmmm... I wonder if she'd be receptive to going downtown for her birthday. Her birthday is May 23rd and falls on a Monday this year. Maybe she'd want to go downtown on Sunday. We could go to the top of the Sears Tower. Sorry, Willis Tower. (Stupid iconic Chicago locations changing names and owners... First Fields and now Sears. What's next? Lake Michigan? Soldier Field? Gasp!! Wrigley?!) I could watch her wet herself while standing on the glass overhang!! I've been to the top of the Sears Tower (Sorry, but it'll never be Willis Tower to me. Just like Macy's will forever be Fields. At least until they remove the clock on the corner. Then maybe I'll concede defeat. Maybe.) but I haven't been since they installed a glass bottom overhang. My little brother, Mark, lives in the City. Maybe I'll talk to him to see if he could meet us somewhere for lunch. I think this is shaping up to be what we'll do! I'm getting excited now!! Lets just hope that she'll be as excited when I lay it out for her!
My credit link didn't link properly... http://momza.blogspot.com

1 comment:
Hi There! The pic of the crown isn't mine. I just googled it.
I hope your Sweet 16 celebration turns out perfectly!
Post a Comment