Lianna & Kiley

Friday, April 1, 2011

He's Lost His Damn Mind

It's no secret that I dislike my brother's fiancée.  It's hard to like someone who has done everything, been everywhere and is FANTASTIC at it all.  That sums up my future sister-in-law to the letter.  No matter where you've been or where you're going - she's been there.  No matter what you've done or what you're planning on doing - she's already done it.  And wouldn't you know - she's done it better than you could ever hope so don't even try.  I was less than thrilled when I found out that my brother was planning on proposing to her.  My only consolation is that I'm not the only one in the family who feels this way.

The one thing I will say for her is that she really is a good photographer.  Personally I think that should be her profession rather than an English teacher, but whatever.  I tried unsuccessfully to avoid her on Facebook, but that didn't last long.  Even after I "accidentally" deleted her as a friend it only lasted a couple weeks and she found me again.  I was looking through her photos, specifically looking at an album that kinda creeps me out (as it does for an Aunt and a cousin), I came across some photos she took of my kids.  They're black and white photos (which I have a thing for - LOVE me some black and white landscape...) and they're really good pictures of my kids.  I showed them to the girls and they both agreed that they were good.  K specifically asked if she could have a copy.  I'm not about to ask the future SIL for a copy since they're up on Facebook for the world to see.  I copied to my computer from Facebook and printed them off on my printer.  K has them on her wall in her room.  My mother saw them, commented on them, found out they were SIL's, and said something to her about how nice they are.  Well if the shit didn't hit the fan.  

According to SIL I'm infringing on her copyrights. There is no copyright on the photos.  I didn't print and sell the pictures.  They're photos of MY daughter hanging on HER wall in HER bedroom.  Does SIL not realize that any Tom, Dick or Harry can pull her photos off Facebook and use without her permission?  Especially since her site isn't private and anyone can see her photos?  My brother called me a couple nights after my mom said something to SIL and he demanded that I apologize to SIL for "stealing" her photos.  I'll be damned if I'm apologizing to her.  

Several years ago my brother and SIL had K over to their house for a week in the summer.  K was responsible for packing her own clothes.  I made the mistake of not checking her bag and she had packed herself clothes that were supposed to be "outside, playing in the dirt" clothes and not the clothes she should have taken to someone else's house.  My mistake on not checking.  Instead of SIL ever saying anything to me, or my brother saying anything to me, the following week when L stayed with them the SIL made several comments to L about K's dirty clothes.  In not so many words she told L that I'm a bad mom and that K is a dirty kid.  She commented to L that her kids will NEVER have to do their own laundry, NEVER leave the house with a stain on their shirt/pants/socks, NEVER have a dirty face.  L was miserable after a week of listening to SIL make these kinds of comments, and I called SIL out on it.  You have a problem with me, then you bring it up with me and NOT with my children.  However I never received an apology from her about these comments.  L never received an apology for having to listen to these comments.

When my brother demanded that I apologize to SIL I told him that I was not in High School and he couldn't force me to apologize to someone no matter what the situation.  I told him that I didn't "infringe on her copyright" as the photos aren't copyrighted (is that even a word?) nor did I distribute them for monetary gain.  I also told him that I never received an apology for being called a bad mom, L didn't get an apology for having to listen to her derogatory comments, K didn't get an apology for having comments made about her, and I would never apologize to her.  For anything.  Ever.

SIL deleted me from her friends on Facebook.  I think I'll go cry in a corner now.  Yea, that didn't convince me either.

No comments: