Lianna & Kiley

Friday, July 23, 2010

Drag Queens and More Drag Queens

So last weekend my friend, Jess and I went to Berlin Night Club in Chicago.  If you're familiar at all with Chicago and/or Berlin you may be asking why on earth I, a straight female and my equally straight friend, were at a night club in the middle of Boys Town in Chicago. Well, I was there to watch my brother perform in a show.  (My baby brother, Mark, is gay.  While I've know this for years, even when he came out to me it wasn't that much of a surprise.  You should see some of the photos we have of him as a kid!  Oh My God!)

Mark has an "alter ego" (I think that's the phrase) and her name is Tippi Marie Peppermint.  Yes, on certain days my baby brother dresses as a woman.  And to be really honest - kind of an ugly woman, too.  Sorry, Mark, but the truth needs to be said.  Tippi is not the most beautiful man/lady I've seen.  BUT to his (her?) defense maybe that's because I can't look at him as Tippi and not see Mark.  Whereas I look at other Queens and I don't know what they look like as men; I have no base to go by.

Tippi, along with about 4 or 5 other Queens, performed at Berlin last Saturday night.  They all got up, individually, and lip synced to songs - put on a performance.  It was a TON of fun!  Without a doubt it's something I want to go to again.  Jess and I had to leave before the show was over, which was disappointing, but Jess had gone to a wedding the night before and Captain was her best friend that night, so she was pretty dang tired.  She hung in there, hung over and all, until about 12:30 am.  That's when I looked over at her and it looked like she was really struggling.  I felt badly about keeping her out that late, so we left after Mark/Tippi's third song. 

The show was supposed to start at about 10 pm, but one of the Queens was really late.  Really late as in didn't walk through the doors until nearly 11 pm.  But while waiting we did get a chance to see Christina, Mark's best friend from high school, and meet her boyfriend, Ryan.  He's a nice guy but he reminds me of the scene from Beetlejuice when he's in the waiting room with the shrunken head guy?  Ryan has these massive shoulders and this teeny-tiny head.  Like I said, he's a nice guy though and he's good to Christina so that's all that matters, right?

Jess and I left the show with some questions that I need to get Mark to answer for us! 
#1 - What do the guys do with their junk?  There were several Queens who showed their crotch areas (covered, people!  Covered!) and there was no tell tale bulge.  If they still have their... Frank and Beans as Jess put it, how come it looks like female parts?

I had a theory about this.  I said double sided sticky tape and Ryan debunked that saying there's no way that would work.  I'll have to defer to the person who was part of this discussion who had the "Frank and Beans" and would know best.

#2 - Some of the Queens had this really cool lipstick that was really red and glittery.  Jess and I want to know where they got it so we can show up to the next party wearing no make up except ruby red, glittery lipstick!  How cool would that be?!

There were a lot of people there and we weren't disappointed in the turnout of oddities.  There was one couple who from a distance, and across a room, and maybe through a really dirty window just looked like a couple of older women out for fun.  Until they got closer to us.  That was when we realized that they were men dressed as women.  I'm all for expressing yourself and if that's what makes you happy - fucking go for it!  There's something to be said for a Queen who has a 5 o'clock shadow, though!  These two were so funny.  Jess and I still laugh about them.  Some of these Queens really had the "female" thing down good.  They walked well in heels (Some of them better than me!  I love me a high heel, but anything above 3" and I can't stand hardly, let alone walk right.), their make up and hair was flawless, and their clothes were fashionable...  Then there were the ones who looked like a little kid in Mom's clothes.  They just didn't have what it takes to be a female!  All the power to them for trying though!

No comments: