I've been reading this blog called The Looks for Less and I've liked it... Until today. I'm not big into the latest fashion for myself, but with two teenagers in the house who "absolutely positively have to have the latest fashion", I've found it to be an insightful blog with ideas of where to get a pair of boots that look identical to the ones Nicole Richie was seen wearing for a fraction of the cost. Ok, I should come clean. When it comes to purses and shoes I do buy my share, but as for sunglasses and skirts etc I don't care. However the article today left me scratching my head a little bit. The lady writing the article talks about dresses from Target that she ended up really liking, but then she goes on to say that she doesn't like dresses and isn't a girly girl. Umm... What? You write a blog for fashion and you say you're not a girly girl? Every picture she posts of herself highlighting the latest bag or shoe that she's talking about - she's in a dress, yet she doesn't like dresses? I'm a little conflicted.
On a different thread, I really would like input from whoever happens to read this or comes across it randomly. My older brother, Eric, got engaged over Christmas and they're planning on a wedding in Colorado in June of 2012. I've been engaged since 2007 and have yet to get married. I cannot tell you how many friends/family have become engaged and gotten married in the time that I've been engaged. Now, I'm not REALLY complaining but I guess I'm feeling a little sorry for myself. When Eric got engaged I swore to M that I was NOT going allow my future SIL to rub it in my face that she got married before I did when she got engaged after I did. And trust me, she will find a way to do that in not so many words. I cannot get married until I can pay for it and with all the crap with M's job the last 4 years I never have anything to put away to save.
I came up with an idea about a month ago and M and I have been tossing it around. We'd send out invitations to a BBQ at our house and put on the invitations somewhere that we have an announcement that we'd like to share that will not be repeated, and we'd really like you to be there. Or something along those lines. Then when people show up - we surprise them with the announcement that they're attending our wedding.
M's Aunt has already agreed to perform the ceremony and this way everyone is super surprised AND no one is under any pressure to get a gift, dress nice, find a sitter, rent a hotel room, etc. It also exonerates me from having to choose my bridesmaids or pay for a hall and food, which I was really stressing about every time we thought we'd be able to plan a "wedding". This would be so laid back and low key - kids would be invited, we'd cater from a local restaurant, have a bonfire and just in general have a BBQ with a wedding ceremony thrown in. Obviously I'd have to let key people know what my plans are, such as my parents and brothers, M's parents and his Aunts and Uncles (they're more like siblings to him as his mom had him young and he grew up in a house with all of his Aunts and Uncles still living there). But other than that, if someone decides not to come to the BBQ then they miss out.
What are your thoughts? Is this cheesy? If you were invited to this BBQ and attended, would you be surprised? Most importantly - is this trashy?
2 comments:
I personally think this is sort a cool idea. Very untraditional. As long as you don't invite anyone that is going to give you crap about not having a church wedding or try to make you feel guilty for not including them in your plans. But wedding plans can usually get out of hand and the people involved can lose sight of the actual reason...the exchange of vows. I say if this is what you and your finace' want...then go for it!! (Just make sure to find someone that can get some pictures!!)
I think it's a wonderful idea. You can wedding plan in relative peace, without input from random relatives you've never heard from until now.
Post a Comment