All had been going well with K. She seemed to be responding to therapy and there hadn't been any real issues at school. Until yesterday. And that carried into today. I had talked to K's social worker at the school yesterday evening at about 3:15 pm. She indicated there hadn't been any issues and that all seemed to be going well. She was completing assignments, wasn't disrespectful to teachers, etc. Her social worker did mention that the core group of girls that K is hanging out with may not be the best influence on her as they all have similar social and/or anger issues. She indicted that nothing in particular had happened but that she wanted me to be aware of the people K was associating with. Not an hour later and I got a call from the Assistant Principle. It's never good when the Assistant Principle calls.
Apparently a student in an after school activity told the other Assistant Principle that at lunchtime there were three girls with alcohol in their water bottles, and K was one of those girls named. At this point in time school was over, the girls in question had all gone home, and the school wasn't sure if it was even a real issue or just rumor, but she told me that they were calling the parents of the girls to inform them that they'd be called into the office the next day. I asked K who had the alcohol and she said it was Kim. Kim had a coffee cup with beer in it and told K that it was SoBe Life Water. K took a sip and knew it wasn't water. She insisted that Kim was the only one with alcohol and that while she did have a sip it was only a sip and only because Kim told her it was something else. At this point in the day I can't prove K wrong. My gut says there was more to the story, but this happened at lunchtime and by the time I talked to K it was 5:30. It's not like I could look at her eyes, check her breath, or anything else you'd do to see if someone was intoxicated.
Yesterday was her weekly Therapy appointment as well. I'm always brought in at the end of the session just as a "anything you want to discuss that K isn't going to bring up on her own" type of deal. I brought it up, and K and Jessica were able to discuss it. I sent K out into the waiting room and let Jessica in on my thoughts about the issue and these girls in general. She and I discussed some ways to be able to discuss issues with K without sending her into immediate defensive mode.
Fast forward to this morning at 7:20 am. I got a phone call from the Principle at K's school. She hasn't even been to school yet today and I'm getting a call already? From the Principle?! Oh, lord. Shoot me now. Apparently there's an issue going on with Kim and the school. They are looking into sending her to a different school. I don't know the reasoning for the transfer. This obviously has set Kim off. As it would any 13 yr old who doesn't want to leave her school and her friends. However, Kim and K decided to take matters into their own hands. They wrote a note to the teacher spearheading this transfer basically threatening her with revenge if Kim is sent to the "retard school". The note was signed "From Kim and a little bit K but written by K".
ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?!?!?!?!
K has been suspended from school for two days. She can't return until Monday and she can't make up any missed assignments or tests. K, of course, insists that Kim wrote the letter and that Kim asked K and another girl at the table if they liked Mrs. Fitzgerald, told them what was in the works for Kim school wise, and K insists that's that. That she didn't write the letter and had no idea that Kim was writing it. I don't believe her. Not at all, but I remember being a kid and my Dad blaming me for stuff I had NOTHING to do with. I've always vowed that I wouldn't do that to my kids, but I have no idea what the hell to do with this kid. I know in my gut when she's lying to me and this is one of those cases. I KNOW that she's bullshitting me, but I have absolutely no proof that she's lying. I don't know what to do with her. I think she knows that I don't like to accuse her of stuff, but this is a kid I can catch with her hand in the cookie jar and she'll deny it was her until she's blue.
I've told K that she's no longer allowed to hang out with Kim. That Kim is not allowed at our house, and she's not allowed at Kim's, but other than that I'm out of ideas. I'm at the end of my sanity with her. I really and honestly don't know how much more if this I can take. And she's only in the 8th grade. What the hell is high school going to be like?
I think I need a drink.
No comments:
Post a Comment