I had a talk with L when I realized her relationship with Jason was more than just a passing encounter. They were both Freshmen in High School and... Well.. Lets be honest here, they were going to be doing "things" way sooner than I wanted them to but I'm not naive enough to believe that simply telling her "NO" would garner the desired abstinence I desired for her. I'm smart enough to know that it would actually have the opposite effect. *Gasp!* Imagine that! A kid would actually go against her parent for telling her she can't do something?! Never!
I look at it this way - I never had those talks with my mother. Ever. I never felt that I could discuss anything with her. Ever. I ended up pregnant at 17 with L. I was pregnant with K at 19. I do not want that for my kids. I've talked to them about sex and all the responsibility that comes with it. I remind them constantly about when we lived with my parents because I couldn't afford to live on my own when their father and I got divorced. I remind them of when we finally were able to move to the apartment in Addison, but many times would have eggs and pancakes for dinner because I couldn't afford to go to the grocery store for several days. I remind them of how I was unable to afford the $5 for a field trip and lunch money for McDonald's so they would sit in the Library during the field trip instead of being with their classes and enjoying a trip outside of school. I try to remind them of just how far we've come and how much we've struggled to do so.
I tell them daily that I do NOT regret them, but that if I could go back in time with the guarantee that I would have L and K the same as they are now - I would have waited. I can only talk to them and hope that they make the right decisions. L came to me and said that she thought it would be a good idea for her to be put on birth control. I think I sprouted another 300 grey hairs, but agreed to make an appointment. We had a discussion about responsibility and that my putting her on birth control is NOT to be mistaken as "permission" for her to have sex. That I do NOT want her to have sex. EVER. However, I do not want her to do it anyway without protection.
That was about 5 months ago. K came into my room last night and told me that she thought that when she gets into High School that she should be put on birth control, too. I just looked at this kid. Ok... besides the obvious being that she's 13 YEARS OLD AND IN 8TH GRADE she physically cannot get pregnant. She hasn't even started puberty yet. I told her that I needed to process what she's telling me and could we discuss this in a few days? She agreed and bounced out of my room.
So many things are going through my head right now. Is she hanging out with a crowd of kids who are "bad" kids? No. Is she lying to me about where she's going, and instead going elsewhere and doing other things?! I don't think so, but anything is possible. Is this just a case of "L can do it so why can't I?" Is she trying to tell me something but doesn't know how to say it or am I just being paranoid?!
No comments:
Post a Comment