Lianna & Kiley

Thursday, January 13, 2011

K's Therapy

K has been accepted into the outpatient program at Streamwood Behavioral Health Systems.  We went for the initial consultation - called an Intake Evaluation - before Christmas but we had to wait for after the holidays were over to begin her sessions.  We were in last week for the first of two Interviews, as they call them, and we return for the second Interview this evening.  Then her therapy actually begins. 

At the Intake Evaluation they asked K all sorts of questions.  From her age, to her feelings about her dad, to her feelings about the sky and the moon, to her favorite foods.  At last week's Interview session they took the Intake Evaluation questions and got more in depth with them.  For example, one question they asked her at the Intake Evaluation was "Do you like your Mom's Fiance?"  At the Interview they asked why she gave the answer she did.  (Her answer, by the way, was "sometimes".)  Tonight's Interview will be more of the same.  Asking her to clarify her answers to the other Intake Evaluation questions.

This place is an actual hospital with patients there who stay there.  I was not aware of this when we went for the Intake Evaluation.  K and I had to be buzzed into the building by the receptionist.  We then had to give our names and reason for being there and I had to give the lady my drivers license.  She then wrote out visitor name tags for us and directed us down the hall and "wait at the double doors.  When the loud buzz sounds you can pass through the doors and take a right.  At the first door on your right ring the doorbell and someone will let you in the Admissions room."  During this journey we passed a group of kids who were all carrying what looked like take-out styrofoam containers down the hall in the opposite direction.  By the time we were in the Admissions room K's eyes were about to bug out of her head.  I had to lean down and whisper to her "when I leave here, you ARE coming with me.  I'm NOT leaving you here."  I realized that she was scared to death that I was going to admit her.

I think the lady who did the Intake Evaluation realized the same thing and reiterated what I had told K but added that should they think she's a danger to herself or others they'll have no choice but to admit her.  I don't think K put it together that she was referring to anytime K's in the building and not just this session.  I hope K didn't put that together because I'm afraid that she'll be less than honest with her therapist if she thinks she'll be admitted.  I don't think she did because she asked me if she was still coming home with me when we got to the hospital last week.

I like K's therapist.  She seems to be able to cut through K's bullshit pretty quickly.  She asked K a question last week, I wish I could remember the question but I don't, and K didn't really want to answer her so K gave her a vague answer.  Her therapist then asked the question again, and K again gave her a vague answer.  Her therapist gave her a moment to come out with the real answer and when K didn't, her therapist simply said "How about you tell me the real reason, and not what you think I want to hear?"

We have our second Interview tonight and I'm hoping that it goes as smoothly as last weeks did.  I'm just relieved to finally have K in some sort of therapy so she can vent all her anger and hopefully figure out ways to help herself.

No comments: