Lianna & Kiley

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Pissed Off

I'm so pissed at K's school it's not even funny.  K got a detention for the incident with Chloe while Chloe got off scott free.  It takes two to have a fight and K didn't fight with herself.  Chloe instigated the issue by calling K names and having others call her names as well.  K and everyone else at her table at lunch had food thrown at them for Christs sake!  K had enough and basically told Chloe to shove it.  Granted, K's method of telling Chloe where to shove it wasn't a smart choice, but it wasn't out of the blue.  I informed the Assistant Principle and the Principle of this when I had the meeting with them but they acted as though I was a tattletale.  I walked out of that meeting feeling as though K will never get a fair shot at that school for the rest of the year no matter what she does.  I also believe Chloe's mother needs to let her daughter fight her own fights once in a while.

This past Friday I got a voicemail message from K's math teacher informing me that K is missing 6 assignments and needs to attend HIP all this week.  HIP's an afterschool homework program.  Optional for kids unless they miss 5 or more assignments in one class - then it's mandatory.  The voicemail itself wasn't what irritated me, but the teachers tone did.  What she said was something like "As I'm sure you're aware, K is missing 5 assignments in math and 1 in science..."  I looked at my phone after getting that voicemail and actually talked back to the voicemail:  "No, I'm not aware she's got missing assignments, because the website that's supposed to update me on these issues isn't updated on a regular basis!"  I have a child who doesn't like school.  Who will do anything and everything to get out of doing schoolwork.  This is a child who has an IEP (Individual Education Plan).  If I ask her what homework she has the answer is always "Nothing".  If I ask to see her assignment notebook she's left it at school.  I can threaten, yell, scream, cry - nothing will break through her wall of "I'm not doing anything I don't wanna do".    I'm irritated that her teachers have allowed a child, who has special needs, to get so far behind in her school work before telling me and they're going to hear about it at our Parent/Teacher Conference on the 22nd.

I don't expect her teachers to raise her, but as a whole they are with her for 6 1/2 hours a day during the week.  I'm with her for 3 at the most.  I expect them to tell me when she's missing homework.  I got a call from her English teacher last week and he was practically yelling at me because K didn't turn in two questions in regards to a project he'd assigned her 2 weeks ago.  I didn't even know there was a project!!  Nothing was on the website that's never updated and of course K never told me about it.  I asked him as much and he said that he'd sent home a paper outlining the project and with the dates that specific things were due.  I told him I never saw it.  He told me that I was to have signed and returned the last page indicating that I read it.  I again informed him I never saw it.  He put me on hold.  He came back and said he never got the paper back.  *Insert me smacking my palm to my forehead*  "Don't you think that maybe you should have caught onto that... Ummm, I don't know - TWO WEEKS AGO and maybe called me then?!"  Examples such as that are what are irritating the living crap out of me. 

No comments: